Tuesday 25 November 2014
Home / Bursaries now available

For the past thirteen years the Athlone Institute Trust (AIT), through the Athlone Institute Bursary Project Fund (AIBROF), have been awarding bursaries and bursary loans to students who are permanent residents of Paarl and Mbekweni.

The AIT, a recipient of the prestigious Impumelelo Social Innovations Centre Award, has been in existence since 1926. This collective effort of five local churches endeavours to empower the local community. In 2012, the AIBROF, a registered NPO, paid out bursaries and bursary loans at various tertiary institutions in South Africa to 73 students, totalling R450 000. An applicant who qualifies for either a bursary or bursary loan must:

) Be a permanent resident of Paarl or Mbekweni

) A parish member in good standing of one of the member churches of the AIT or a member in good standing of any bona-fide denomination/religious institution in Paarl or Mbekweni;

) Must enrol for full-time undergraduate studies for the 2013 academic year at a recognised tertiary institution

) Have been promoted after the last year of study

) Show potential to study successfully

) Produce certified documents

) Produce their registration paper. The students have to pay their registration fees at the beginning of the academic year, out of their own resources

) Be willing to be involved in some form of community service in the Paarl/Mbekweni area

) Participate in the mentoring programme.

First year students who matriculated at Klein Nederburg Senior Secondary School, Paarl, who register for a qualification in AgriSciences at Stellenbosch University (US), may also apply for the Erna Witbooi Bursary which must be utilised to pay all expenses for handbooks for the first year of study. Contact Harwin Smith for a separate application form.

Bursary Awards are made by the AIBROF Committee who selects recipients based on academic merit and financial need.

Awards are variable and cover a percentage of the cost of tuition, registration and books.

Application forms and information for the Athlone Institute Trust Bursaries/Bursary Loans are available from the AIBROF website www.athlonebursaries.co.za, at the offices of the following member churches in Paarl: Bethel Congregational Church, Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Immanuel VGK Church, St Stephen’s Anglican Church, Zions VGK Church and from Drakenstein Pharmacy. Or contact Harwin Smith at 021 862 7777 (office hours) or draken@worldonline.co.za for further queries.

The closing date for bursary/bursary loans applications is 9 February 2013.

COMMENTS 

top
OUR LATEST ISSUE & BACK COPIES

top
bottom